Feathery Thoughts is a place for us to dig down under the surface of daily life–to question why we believe the things we do, and how we can live the best lives possible in a chaotic, modern world. In many ways, this blog is a sounding board for me to work out the issues I’m facing in my own life, and I hope you can use it that way too. Write to me about your problems. Tell me about the ups and downs of your life–the rises and falls that all of us, as humans, face. I may not have the answers, but I’ll always be here to listen.
I’m Sarah, the person behind the words. I’ve worn many different hats since graduating college in 2014–I’ve been an urban forester in Minnesota, a research writer for a university, and a journalist for a natural resource department. I spent a year working for a Mississippi humane society as an outreach coordinator. Most recently, I became the PR Specialist for the University of Georgia Housing department.
In fall of 2016, I married my best friend, Jordan–a voice of wisdom and rationality in my life who often spurs my blog posts. We live together in a little brick house in Georgia with our giant rescue dog, Chara, our three-legged Mississippi mutt, Wren, and our two terrible rescue cats, Minerva and Noxubee. In our spare time, we backpack, garden, and eat.
Jordan and I have several life goals, which are central to our pursuit of living the best lives we can.
We want to:
- Own a homestead in the Northeast. Preferably off grid.
- Become financially independent before we’re fifty through wise spending, investing and saving techniques.
- Be as environmentally conscious as we can by riding our bikes, reusing materials, and reducing our impact on the planet.
- Grow, make and eat delicious food on a regular basis.
- Have a kid, adopt a kid, and raise them to be well-balanced humans.
- Jordan wants to contribute to the field of wildlife biology as a professor or researcher.
- I want to write pieces that impact the world, whether that’s in the field of science writing or as a novelist.