Feathery Thoughts is a place for us to dig down under the surface of daily life–to question why we believe the things we do, and how we can live the best lives possible in a chaotic, modern world. In many ways, this blog is a sounding board for me to work out the issues I’m facing in my own life, and I hope you can use it that way too. Write to me about your problems. Tell me about the ups and downs of your life–the rises and falls that all of us, as humans, face. I may not have the answers, but I’ll always be here to listen.
I’m Sarah, the friendly voice behind the words. I’ve worn many different hats since graduating college in 2014–I’ve been an urban forester in Minnesota, a research writer for a university, and a journalist. Most recently, I became the Outreach Coordinator for my local humane society, where I spend my days photographing adoptable animals and campaigning to get them adopted.
Last fall I married my best friend, Jordan–a voice of wisdom and rationality in my life who often spurs my blog posts. We live together in a little brick house in Mississippi with our giant rescue dog, Chara, and our terrible rescue cat, Minerva. In our spare time, we backpack, garden, and eat.
Jordan and I have several life goals, which are central to our pursuit of living the best lives we can.
We want to:
- Own a homestead in the Northeast. Preferably off grid.
- Become financially independent before we’re fifty through wise spending, investing and saving techniques.
- Be as environmentally conscious as we can by riding our bikes, reusing materials, and reducing our impact on the planet.
- Grow, make and eat delicious food on a regular basis.
- Have a kid, adopt a kid, and raise them to be well-balanced humans.
- Jordan wants to contribute to the field of wildlife biology as a professor or researcher.
- I want to write Young Adult novels with fierce female characters and a diverse cast.
- And be actively involved at my local animal shelter.